William Albert Goold emigrated to Walsall, in the West Midlands, from County Tipperary in the 1850’s. In 1877 he founded a company in Box Street in Walsall, making fancy leather goods like wallets, purses and bicycle seats.
From 1950 – 1998 the company was run by W.A.’s grandson, Michael Goold, who grew the company substantially and acquired businesses in a variety of sectors including saddlery, sporting goods, jewellery and menswear.
In the 1990’s the manufacturing company declined and much of the UK production ceased or was moved offshore, only the highest quality saddlery and leather goods remained in the UK.
In the late 1990’s, the company diversified into commercial property. In 2006 the company was bought out by the current Managing Director, WA’s great-grandson, and was rebranded Goold Estates.
Much of the original space used to manufacture leather goods has been redeveloped or sold. The original leather goods and saddlery business was sold in 2015, since when the company has been entirely focused on property.
The company now owns a property portfolio across the West Midlands, the majority of which is composed of multi-let industrial and trading estates.